Vodka Tempura Mahi-Mahi Recipe
Simply Vodka’s Vodka Tempura Recipe:
I normally use a basic beer batter fish fry mix when I want to fry some fish, however I decided to incorporate some vodka in our recipe for today. Using a beer and vodka mixture to make this tempura batter turned out excellent and I’ve already been asked to cook it again!
- Be sure that your oil is close to reaching 375 degrees prior to mixing up your vodka tempura batter.
- Do not over whisk your batter – you want some of the beer carbonation to remain in the batter.
- Keep your batter as cold as possible once it is mixed together
- Frying your fish immediately after mixing up your vodka tempura batter will help you achieve a quality tempura batter that looks like it came out of a restaurant.
Vodka Tempura Batter Mahi-Mahi Ingredients:
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cold vodka (from freezer)
- 1/2 cup cold lager beer
- 1 egg
- 1 lb fresh Mahi-Mahi
Vodka Tempura Fried Mahi Directions:
- Preheat your deep fryer (or oil in dutch oven) to 375 degrees
- Whisk your egg with your vodka in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add your beer and whisk a few more seconds
- Combine with the rice flour and whisk for 10 seconds (the mixture may still contain a few lumps)
- Keep mixture as cold as you can (I set my bowl down in a larger bowl full of ice)
- Dip your Mahi-Mahi (we did bites but feel free to fry larger filets) in the batter using tongs.
- Fry 5-8 pieces at a time until they become golden and puffy. This was approximately 5-6 minutes for us.
- Remove your fried Mahi-Mahi from the oil and drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve your Vodka Tempura Mahi Mahi and enjoy!